Saturday, January 19, 2013

College students: How to get started


Your questions about where to go, how to begin, where to start... I will attempt to answer all of that here, providing a road map to get on the right path in your Spanish class.

In all cases, the syllabus is where you need to start. It is displayed prominently in your course, but if you can't locate it, post a question in the discussion forum. Read it at the start of class and refer to it often.
  1. I then would make sure you have accessed the assignment due dates sheet, or course calendar and get those into your own personal calendar. They will not change (unless I have made an error, in which case I would send out an announcement).
  2. If your course includes the purchase of passcodes to an online homework site, you will want to get that purchased and register there ASAP. You get your code(s) through the purchase of your texbook (so don't throw away ANY of the packaging until your code(s) are accounted for and you've enrolled in the site).
  3. From there, I would then spend some time getting to know the all aspects of the course. Do not try to pass up this self-orientation time, and do not rush the experience. 
  4. Once you have spent some time orientating to the course, you should go ahead and begin learning your first lesson. You naturally may feel hesitant or doubtful as you begin. I would be glad to check on something for you to confirm completion. Just send me a note about it.
  5. Each lesson in all of my classes will work the same as the first.  I think consistency and routine is important, so for the most part, Lesson 2 should get easier, just because it works the same as Lesson 1! 
If, after following all 6 steps, you still have questions or feel lost in some aspect, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment