Monday, January 7, 2013

How to start a new class

So, today I had about 45 minutes to kill.  I wanted to do something productive, there's lots on the list, but I wasn't sure what I was in the mood for.  I decided to start learning a bit of Italian.  I purchased Rosetta Stone (it's been sitting here a couple of weeks now, in it's pretty yellow box, just begging to be opened).  What did I actually accomplish?  Well, I got the package opened, the program downloaded and registered, and that's about it.  I didn't even have time to start looking around to see what there is to see!

This was a good reminder to me about something I always preach to my college-level students:  Give yourself TIME when getting started.  Be realistic.  It was not realistic for me to think I'd actually start learning Italian in just 45 minutes.  Now that it's ready to go, I STILL have some orientation to do to learn how this is going to work.  So it will probably be a little while before I actually start learning any Italian.  :)  I can be patient.

I am also getting ready to start new sessions of Young Amigos next week.  This is a good notion for them, too.  I estimate families can plan to spend about 2-3 hours per week on the course.  But the first week just takes more time, because you are learning the objectives and plan of action for the course.  Be realistic.  You need that orientation time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment