Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Intellectual and Relational Capital

Streams of Life Pastor Mark Fry had a great sermon this past Sunday.  John said to me as we were having lunch after service:  "Wow, those are some heavy challenges!" I agree.  But I found the notion of these challenges for an improved "me" inspiring and motivating.  Here they are, in particular order of importance:

Types of Capital

  1. Spiritual
  2. Relational
  3. Physical
  4. Intellectual
  5. Financial
I encourage each of you to consider how you can invest in each of the 5 different types of Personal Capital in 2013.  But let me share an idea about how to kill two proverbial birds with one stone.

Language-learning in the 21st century is a great example of Intellectual Capital.  You are awakening major brain power to learn the structure of a language other than your own.  It is no easy task, and I often tell students who are struggling:  Hey, if it were easy, wouldn't we all speak at least 2 or 3 different languages?  It takes time, effort and determination if you are learning a language in any other way than survival-mode (i.e. living in the target culture).   

I also see language-learning as Relational, in a couple of different ways.  First, there are motivational factors involved when a teacher/student relationship ensues in order to learn a language.  It is one reason that I am not a big proponent of do-it-yourself language-learning programs, such as Rosetta Stone.  Some learners just need accountability, and this implies a relationship between at least two people.  A computer or software cannot hold you accountable, because there is no relationship with the technology (no matter how much a person loves their iPhone!)  Although, I'll be trying out Rosetta Stone Italian this year, so I'll keep you posted on my hypothesis.

Secondarily, as a person expands his or her language horizons, new friendships are possible that are tough to attain if you only speak one language.  When I ask my college students why they are taking my Spanish class, one of the most popular responses has something to do with relationship with others.  They want to be able to communicate with co-workers, new friends, new family members, neighbors, etc.  Expanding communication opens up hearts!    

Just a couple of thoughts to consider.  I hope you will take some time to decide how you will invest in each of the 5 types of Personal Capital for 2013!  And then... find a way to follow through on those commitments!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment